Apple and parsnip soup with brown butter Vine leaf wrapped feta with roasted black grapes
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 12 X cup muffin tray.
- For frangipane: Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
- Toss in almonds and flour and mix to combine. Stir through the almond essence and vanilla. Set aside.
- Halve apples and remove core. Slice horizontally into 1mm thick slices.
- Steam apples briefly in a colander over boiling water so they become more pliable, or microwave in a glass bowl covered with cling wrap. Cool.
- Cut each pastry square into 5 strips (roughly 5/20cm).
- Spread a thin layer of frangipane over each strip.
- Lay apple slices along one long edge of strip, overlapping them as you go (rounded edges of apples should just hang over pastry’s edge).
- Starting from the bottom carefully roll-up strip to form a rose.
- Place roses in the muffin tray. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Cool on a rack and serve scattered with a light dusting of castor sugar.
- Use a melon baller or round measuring spoon to neatly scoop out the core of an apple or pear.